Students at Miami Dade College studying art, history, English, and other humanities subjects are encouraged to join The Humanities Edge at MDC as early as their first semester of study.
Year-round Program benefits at MDC
- Year-round programming
- Paid internships with museums, archives, and botanical sites
- Paid research fellowships with faculty
- Experienced faculty and advisors dedicated to enhancing your humanities education
- Peer writing mentors to assist you in writing and research
- Smoother transfer process
Resources for MDC students pursuing humanities degrees
Transfer & Transition Services at FIU provides resources like how-to guides, scholarships and more to ease your transition from MDC. Visit their site or the links below to learn more.
Fast-track to Florida International University
Humanities Edge students are encouraged to apply to FIU’s Connect4Success (C4S) transfer program. Through the program, you’ll receive many FIU student perks. When you’re ready to graduate from MDC, just update your application and you’re in FIU. Graduation with an associate’s degree (AA) can guarantee your admission to most degree programs at FIU.
Curriculum that works for you
MDC and FIU faculty are working together to build a humanities curriculum that meets your needs. You’ll work closely with faculty and receive individualized advising. We’re also streamlining the transfer credit process so that you’ll know which credits to take and when.
The Summer H.E.ART Program
The Summer H.E.ART Program is designed for MDC Associate in Arts (AA) students near graduation who wish to pursue a bachelor's degree at FIU in the following majors:
- History (including Digital Humanities and Public History)
- English (including Literature, Writing and Rhetoric, Creative Writing and Linguistics)
- Art (including Art History and Curatorial Practice)
MDC students graduating or nearing graduation from AA pathways in History, English, and Art have the opportunity to discover and deepen their passion for the humanities, and also learn how the humanities pathway can lead to a successful career.
Space is limited to 60 students. Students selected to participate in the Summer H.E.ART Program will receive various benefits including:
- Having access to Humanities Advisors & Peer Mentors from FIU
- Humanities Internship opportunities
- Participating in ongoing, Humanities-focused enrichment activities
- Receiving career mentoring and professional development
Each H.E.ART participant will also receive a stipend for participating.
Who is eligible to join?
Miami Dade College humanities students with at least 45 credits. Preference will be granted to graduating MDC students. Diverse candidates with an interest in history, English, and art, and those from under-represented communities are encouraged to apply.